Monday, December 1, 2008

Decisions To Make

I met with my cardiologist again today but didn't get too much news. He consulted a local surgeon and he agrees I need surgery soon. I have also researched hospitals and surgeons and I talked to him about getting a specific one. He's fine with that and will be contacting the surgeon, sending test results, and then scheduling the surgery. He kind of chuckled when I mentioned that I had a hospital and surgeon picked out. Hubby reminded me that most of the doctors patients are probably over 60 and don't get online and do too much research on their own. :) So now I wait to hear back this week on a surgery date. What exactly does "soon" mean to a doctor?

He said that the #1 choice is to do a repair of the mitral valve. If they have to replace it then I need to decide between tissue (pig or cow) valve or mechanical (metal). With a mechanical valve replacement I should not need future surgeries. I would have to take anticoagulation medicine daily for life. Because of this I could NOT ever be pregnant while on this medication. If I choose a tissue valve replacement I can most like have another pregnancy, but those valves wear out and need to be replaced every 10-15 years. So these are the choices I have to weigh now. It's quite overwhelming. Obviously, the best thing would be a repair. That is something they just can't know until they go in for surgery and actually see my valve. If they can't repair it I have to know ahead of time which replacement I want.

On a much lighter note here's some pictures of the kiddos for our Christmas cards. Out of a hundred pictures I think we got about 5 where Decaf didn't have her thumb in her mouth. A big thanks to Stan for the pictures. His comfort zone is more along the lines of the Georgia Dome and not trying to pose a 1 & 3 year old. And please overlook my lousy cropping. :)

And check out Focus on the Family's contest. You might win an iPod. :)


Ashley Griffin said...

praying for your decision and what cutie pies!

McCrakensx4 said...

Praying for you in this hard time of decision making. God will be with you in whatever route you chose. And the pics are adorable! I am a sucker for Christmas jammie pics! I take'em every year of my boys.

Amy B said...

I will be praying for you and your family this week. I know it is hard to know what route to take. I will pray for a clear decision for you.
The Jammie pictures are so cute.

Kelly said...

The pics turned out great. Pic taking in our house was a nightmare... I hope we got a good one!! Praying for your decisions!!

Keyona said...

Hard decisions! Well, you have to decide if you want more kids and if you're willing to have another surgery when those wear out. God will help you make your choice. I'll keep you in my prayers!

Momma_Hug said...

Love the pictures! How cute!
Such a hard decision to make. Prayers are with you and your family.

Florida Girl said...

Hello BFF. I feel that anything I say right now is trivial in light of what you are going through. Know that I love you & am praying for you. Love, Jess
PS. Your kids are ADORABLE!! I love the pictures!! You have to send me the one of Decaf & Latte together.

Kelly said...

Stop by my blog... you have some bloggy love.

Davisix said...

Hey there sweet friend. I am so sorry that such decision have to be made but I know your faith will guide you. And please know that I will be praying. PLEASE let me know if I can do anything to help. I am here!

I need a pic of those precious kids, ok?

xoxoxo Ang

Keli said...

Yes, that's a huge decision! But God is with you and will guide you in making the right choice! I will be praying!

The pictures are adorable - I love kids in comfy jammies!!!

xo Keli